Ackee is an evergreen fruit which grows all over the island of Jamaica. This fruit was first introduced to Jamaica from the West coast of Africa. The Ackee tree is very recognisable with its glossy green leaves and reddish pods.
When ripe, it will open to reveal its creamy yellow flesh and black seeds. Ackee served with Salted Fish has become Jamaica's National dish.
- Place salted fish into a bowl of fresh water, simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Drain water, (debone and flake fish) if required. Use of skinless & boneless fish eradicates this step.
- Pour oil into frying pan and heat gently
- Fry finely chopped onions, scotch bonnet peppers, sweet pepper and tomatoes. Add seasoning to desired taste.
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Add salted fish and Home From Home Ackees drained.
- Heat whilst stirring gently
- Serve hot with rice, hard food and sliced avocado pear.